A Brief Guide to Connecting with Other RP Humans

The Medusae
Storyteller

A Brief Guide to Connecting with Other RP Humans

Postby The Medusae » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:38 am

1. PMs work better than replying to posts, in my experience.

2. Be proactive. I know the common maxim is not to chase someone who isn’t chasing you, but on forums, that doesn’t work. Always assume that you will need to be the person doing the chasing. Over time, as you set the example, others will start to chase you back (and if they don’t, it’s probably not a comment on you so much as it is the fact that we’re a game full of anxious rabbit nerds and worry like hell about annoying other people).

3. Be assertive/direct. I know this can be tough, especially when you don’t know somebody (or at least don’t know their OOC identity), but it really does make a difference. “I would like to RP with you in X capacity” or “I like XYZ about your concept and would love to have a scene about Q topic” or “I am interested in ABC character tie” or “I saw you are looking for romance plot. I am also interested in this thing. Here is why I think our PCs would be a good fit for it” goes a long way towards getting you what you want.

4. Get specific. If you want character ties, for example, don’t send someone super broad ideas; give them a place to start, either by making specific suggestions (i.e. “what if we were exes?” or “could our PCs be cousins?”) or asking specific questions (“what types of ties most interest you – family, friends, lovers, random meet cute?” and “what sort of story are you looking to tell with this character, and what has their history in the area been like?”).

5. Communicate. Make sure you’re on the same page as far as your expectations go. Make sure you are up front about what your needs are, and what kind of story/interaction you are looking for. If you’re not sure how something you want to post is going to impact a scene, talk it out in PMs. If you run into a problem, talk it out in PMs. You don’t have to pre-plan all your RP, but knowing what your goals are/what you want out of your interactions and ensuring those align is important.

6. If you need help with either matchmaking or mediation, ask for it. Staff, other players or PCs with connections to the person you want to approach – we can all help you, and I bet we’d all be willing to (though I can only speak for myself).

The Medusae
Storyteller

Re: A Brief Guide to Connecting with Other RP Humans

Postby The Medusae » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:45 pm

Bumping this for some of our new people and those who might not have seen it before.

Return to “RP Guidelines & Game Policies”