18%
Precedented
82%

Total votes: 22

The Mists
Head Storyteller

Same-Sex Mating

Postby The Mists » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:47 pm

I've gotten some push back on a call I made regarding mating in the garou nation, so as per usual, I'd like to open it up to you. Namely, the precedent of same-sex matings being precedented in our game's universe.

This is not a debate on intolerance in WoD, but a survey to see which is more fun for you.

Unprecedented
Special Circumstances
It's not unheard of for a kin to go to the mound to claim another kin, but traditional septs generally refuse this, as "only a garou can claim a kin". A garou may claim a mortal, but to many this is rending the veil. A garou has never claimed a garou as a mate (for obvious reasons), nor has there ever been a same-sex mating or an officiated mating with a fera.

This was my initial stance.

In my read of WoD, the Garou nation is at least 50 years behind the modern world in social issues, between arranged marriages and the treatment of metis and kinfolk. I also admit that I like my WoD on the darker side of things, so the PCs can be the shining light in the bleakness. That's the general setting I try to convey, to set up something to struggle against. In addition, I hadn't seen anything in W20 that signified a true shift in civil rights, so it stood to reason that if gay marriage was only legalized in the US in 2015, we had another few decades until the garou nation caught up. If this was something that was being done, I would envision a lot more tension mounting between progressive and traditional tribes, and a lot more interjection of traditionalists to 'fix' the tribes stepping out of line.

Precedented
Special Circumstances
It's not unheard of for a kin to go to the mound to claim another kin, but traditional septs generally refuse this, as "only a garou can claim a kin". A garou may claim a mortal, but to many this is rending the veil. A garou has never claimed a garou as a mate (for obvious reasons), nor has there ever been an officiated mating with a fera.

Queer matings are not widespread, but they have happen. They are not officially sanctioned among the Silver Fangs, Shadow Lords, Fianna, or Get of Fenris, and almost unheard of in more traditonal septs. Other tribes have had them, and the extent to which that is a big deal depends both on tribe and geographical location (for example, a Coggie sept in San Francisco is probably going to be more fine with it). Being queer does not absolve you of the pressure/responsibility to produce children for the Nation if you are physically capable of doing so.

This is the suggested alternative, if we change it.

If I've learned anything in my years as an ST, it's that my preference doesn't necessarily match my player's preference, and ultimately, this is a game for them. We've created a safe queer space IC and OOC, and it's important to me that that environment remains intact. While the garou nation is hardly as socially developed as a lot of the modern world, it's not beyond reason that SOMEone SOMEwhere would have done this, even if it was met with a strong reaction. In how involved the Children of Gaia have been in so many other matters, it stands to reason that this would've been pushed enough to happen, even if it's been more subversive than accepted. Lastly, the inherent oppression of the garou nation may just be flat out not fun for players, and fun is important. There's plenty of traditional pressure plot opportunities in this game, and this doesn't have to be one.

So. Which would be more fun for you? If officiated same sex mating was Unprecedented or Precedented?

This can become a heated topic fast, so I strongly discourage debate in this rare instance. Please just let me know which version of world setting would make the game most enjoyable for you.

Alexandra

Re: Same-Sex Mating

Postby Alexandra » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:18 pm

I just want to say that I really appreciate the ability to absorb feedback and open decisions like this up to players on the part of the staff.
Alexandra Dietrich
Known as Second Guesses to the Spirits and Nation
Lupus | Shadow Lord | Ahroun

Omega of the Wings of Glory Pack
Rage 5
Appearance 4 (Intensity) | Charisma 4 (Persuasive) | Intimidation 4 (Standing in the Back)
Pure Breed 5 | Spirit Heritage 4 (Stormcrow)
Mark of the Predator
"I need no introduction, when you knock me down I get back up again."

The Mists
Head Storyteller

Postby The Mists » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:18 pm

Hey man, we're in this together. <3

Saffron

Postby Saffron » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:53 pm

My issue with it being uprecidented is that while the nation as a whole is 50 years back there are tribes like the Glasswalkers that pride themselves on being 10-20 years ahead. Some tribes, some septs are socially repressed, but there is a lot of variety among the Garou. I can’t believe some Ragabash hasn’t tried it by now.
Saffron Westwood, Watcher from Behind the Mirror
Homid | Silent Strider | Theurge | Cliath
Rage: 2| App: 2 | Stamina: 5 Tireless | Manipulation: 4 Spirits
Speaks with a slight foreign accent. (Pavee)
When Saffron enters a room, the temperature drops several degrees.
Saffron is tall with no curves and appears somewhat androgynous.
Touching Saffron has side effects.
Saffron prefers the pronouns They/Them most of the time

The Mists
Head Storyteller

Postby The Mists » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:12 pm

THE PLAYERS HAVE SPOKEN.

Updating the post now. <3

Same Sex Mating IS precedented, but RARE, and in a lot of places flat out forbidden.

Ava

Postby Ava » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:18 pm

Thank you for setting up these player polls. They're very much appreciated. <3
Ava "Red-Desert's Flame"
Fostern Lupus Uktena Ragabash
Purebreed 1 | Rage 1 | Charisma 3 | Appearance 3
Dex 4 (preternatural grace) | Perception 4 (uncanny instincts) | Primal Urge 4 (shifting forms)
Double Jointed | Perfect Balance | Wolfsight
Omega of Owl Pack, Sept Keeper
Ava has a deep scar on her front left hand/paw, is often accompanied by a fire spirit in the umbra
"I know it seems like we're all lost, we see the secrets, we know the unknown."

Return to “Genre & Setting”